A Head of QA is needed to join a fast-paced and exciting technology company with the goal to fill the gap for millions of local service businesses that are not yet online.
Pronounced "You and I", UENI provides low-cost, easy solutions to help small businesses attract new customers online.
Our mission is to give small service-sector businesses access to the customer base now captured by larger businesses who have the time, knowledge, and resources to build a professional online presence.
UENI builds each business a search-engine optimized website, verifies the business on Google, and lists the business on high-traffic, trusted platforms and online maps.
The UENI dev team currently consists of 16 developers of varying experience. We are working on a tech stack of Kubernetes, Docker, MySQL, Python3 + Django, and React JS.
As we aim to provide the online presence for "the long tail" of small and micro businesses, much of our work is very data-driven. Many of the challenges on the dev team are around this large data set, providing internal tools to other teams to create, interact with, and manipulate this data. We are also delivering the end product to our clients, striving to provide the best digital presence we can which is cost effective and tech-savvy on their side (aka automated whenever possible).
Developers are required to interact with the other teams to understand their needs and provide simple, reliable technological solutions. We are fast paced and still discovering what we can do well, and so no developer can expect to be handed simple instructions to implement in a bubble.
On the backend, we are work on the basis of a microservice architecture. Wherever possible, we use a shared Django template for these projects so we can start a new project fast and easily understand each other's code.
On the frontend, our main project is the ueni.com website, including pages for each business owner with a high focus on SEO and usability to give small businesses an easy but effective digital presence and allow new customers to find them. At the same time, we provide extra functionality to the business owners to control and see performance stats for their pages. This is implemented in React, Redux, and Node for server-side rendering.
As a Head of QA you would be involved in Product / Development in order to ensure a high-quality reliable product. You will lead a small QA team (1-2 direct reports).
Head of QA has to be a great facilitator of the changes needed - across Product, Development, Operations (DevOps) and Executive team and has to proactively come to CTO with clear proposals, how to make changes described above happen.
Head of QA has to show others the value of items, being prepared and implemented within the QA team, in order to make them part of the story - Product Quality should be part of DNA of every company member.
- Having a broad knowledge of all parts of our product to have an awareness of how new features will interact
- Responsibility for facilitating of what the company recognizes as Product features and what would be the way how to measure the Quality of the Product
- Reaching the mutual agreement with the Product team on this topic, before any further actions regarding the automation of the tests
- Work with the Product team in the early stages of a new feature to raise concerns early and get a head start on a test plan before the devs finish the feature.
- Enable and encourage devs to test their own code; ultimately everyone is responsible for the quality of their own work. But the second pair of eyes can help think of scenarios they didn't consider.
- Where applicable create fully automated integration tests across multiple components.
- Responsibility for implementing and running tests and reaching QA measures recurrently after each Release and before the Deploy to Production state
- Reaching a mutual agreement with DevOps team lead in order to convert those measures to a Product monitoring and make this ongoing assurance activity visible to all company members
- Responsible for a transparent way of communication to every member of the company team, in order to articulate the necessity for the Quality of the Product and the scope of quality measures
- Last, but not least - not be afraid to get your hands dirty and do a few manual and exploratory tests when that's the best solution. Sometimes a quick test with human eyes finds an issue that 1000 automated tests missed.
Why Join UENI:
- Work with brilliant people from 14+ nationalities who love what they do
- Make an impact by building your department from scratch
- Career progression: personal development, autonomy, responsibility
- Competitive salary & generous equity options, employees eligible for grants every 6 months
- Generous referral scheme
- Support for in-house and external training for professional development
- Centrally located office, fun team spirit, coffee & snacks on us
Our state of the art platform allows local businesses to gain exposure to thousands of new local customers, simplifying the way users find and book the right services for them, based on their preferences. We accurately acquire venues and services at speed, to index them so they become searchable and to store them so our marketplace becomes dense with content. We are teaching our machines to learn for themselves, to recognise unique offerings through association.
Our founders, both educated at Harvard Business School, came from successful careers in consulting, private equity and business development to start UENI. They have created an environment that pushes creativity and challenges each member of the team to reach their full potential.