Headquartered in London, UENI (pronounced you-en-eye) was founded by two Harvard Business School graduates with the aim of democratising the access to a digital presence for small local businesses such as dentists, hairdressers or electricians. Even today, the vast majority of small local services business are still offline. On top of the question of cost; time and knowledge are the biggest drivers of the slow penetration. To address this issue, UENI sends out “walkers” who gather extensive data on a business, including services and prices, and then pre-build their content so that the business owner does not have to. UENI’s sales agent then call these businesses, show their pre-built content and convert them.
For paid customers, UENI also creates a google my business page and social media presence. For businesses that do not have a physical presence (e.g. plumbers), UENI works with associations to ensure the quality and validity of the businesses.
UENI focuses on breadth (cities over 100k people) and depth (high density coverage within a neighborhood). Thus far, UENI has collected data on ~400k+ small businesses across 11 Western European countries in six major languages. They aim to reach the 1 million company mark by the end of the year. Thus far, UENI have raised EUR 11 million from an impressive list of ultra-high net worth entrepreneurs and have started raising another EUR 7-10 million to match their aggressive growth plans.
UENI intends to maintain its pace of growth through continued expansion.
About the Prague office:
UENI have just opened a new office Prague as a result of their growing business and success throughout Europe. UENI want to build a team of developers and other IT specialists who will help the company grow further. After transition period it is expected that the Prague team will be working independently on their own projects. UENI currently have 10 employees in Prague and the number is expected to grow. Their Prague office may eventually become their main development hub.
Location: Holečkova 31, Praha 5 (Smíchov)
Salary: approx. CZK 120-150k per month, depending on skills and experience. It is possible to get company shares.
About the DevOps role:
We are looking for a candidate who has the ability to lead and a passion for applying a mixture of systems engineering and automation skills to build robust, scalable, highly-available cloud-based infrastructures to facilitate business success.
The primary responsibilities will be related to systems engineering and administration in a devops context driving site reliability and scalability strategies but will also involve wider devops duties. You will be working closely with development, quality assurance and support teams to ensure continuous delivery, provide expertise, handle technical escalations and develop tools and automate processes that improve operational efficiency.
- Empowering our R&D teams, engineers, and data scientists to work at scale.
- Designing and delivering systems engineering and site reliability strategy. Managing health/monitoring, growth, scalability, reliability, complexity, etc.
- Building high-availability/disaster failover/recovery infrastructures and procedures.
- Configuring, monitoring and administering Python services on containers.
- Managing high-availability of database systems (Mysql, Postgresql, elasticsearch, rabbitmq)
- Assisting dev/test/support teams, solving problems and automating common tasks
- Troubleshooting problems, performing triage and recommending resolutions.
- Developing, testing, improving tools, systems processes and documentation
- Performing regular essential maintenance tasks – patches/upgrades, rebuilding machine images, phasing in infrastructure-as-code/versioned-infrastructure.
- Research and development around increased cloud IaaS adoption (Kubernetes/Docker).
- Strong Systems Engineering/Administration skills in a cloud environment, ideally GCP
- Production use of Kubernetes and Docker
- Expert-level Linux Operating Systems administration experience
- Strong skills in managing, deploying and scaling container-based services
- Production exposure to micro-services
- Excellent problem solving, troubleshooting skills
- Proficiency in at least one administration/scripting language (Python, Go)
- Good administration, optimization skills in at least one Database/RDBMS system (MariaDB/MySQL, Postgresql)
- Familiarity with Redis, ElasticSearch, Postgresql
- Storage and content delivery infrastructure management (GCS/S3, CloudFront, CloudFlare, Caching)
- At home with at least one shell/scripting language – for administration and scripting. (bash, posix shell, ksh)
- Good network design/engineering skills (TCP/IP, Routing, DNS, Firewalling)
- Good communication skills
- Professional working proficiency in the English language
More about UENI and their open jobs:
Our state of the art platform allows local businesses to gain exposure to thousands of new local customers, simplifying the way users find and book the right services for them, based on their preferences. We accurately acquire venues and services at speed, to index them so they become searchable and to store them so our marketplace becomes dense with content. We are teaching our machines to learn for themselves, to recognise unique offerings through association.
Our founders, both educated at Harvard Business School, came from successful careers in consulting, private equity and business development to start UENI. They have created an environment that pushes creativity and challenges each member of the team to reach their full potential.